Quilling basics - The tight coil or peg


Quilling is all the rage right now. As a crafter this really thrills me. Back when I started quilling during my school days we didn't have ant tools, internet or how to books. We learned through the knowledge passed down through generations. I remember making my first quill on a toothpick and got my first quilling tool just before I began teaching. About 13 years ago now.

I've been quilling for over a decade now and I've decided its time to pass on my quilling knowledge, tips and tricks. For those of you who don't know but want to learn, I'm going to do a detailed step by step tutorial on each of the basic shapes. For now we're going to start with how to make a tight coil.                                                                                                                                                                  


The tools and materials you're going to need are:
A slotted quilling tool
5mm quilling strips
good quality PVA glue


Find the slot on your quilling tool.


Place the strip of quilling paper into the slot making sure it doesn't stick out the other end.


I'm right handed so I've got the quilling tool in my right hand but the thumb and index finger on my left hand are key. I use my index finger as a wall to keep the coils flush in place and with the tip of my thumb I gently coax the coils into place. They can be quite stubborn at times.


As you begin to roll, and get some practice, this does get easier. It's a little tricky in the beginning, but you will get there. I promise!


Once you reach the end of your strip, apply a little clear drying PVA glue. Hold it firm for a couple of seconds to allow it to dry then ease the tight coil or peg off the quilling tool.

TIP: I like to use the bottles with a nozzle so that I can regulate the flow of glue. If the quilling strips are too narrow, I just pour out a little glue and use a toothpick to put it onto the quilling strip.


This is what you should have left. A nice, neat quilled peg or tight coil.

I hope quilling brings to you as much joy as it does to me.

Comments