Quilled Jewellery box - 2


So this is part II of my quilled jewellery box. This one took a little longer than the previous one because it was my first try at the beehive quilling method.


What is Beehive Quilling?

Beehive quilling is basically forming multiple small coils on a single quilling strip. 

I think this is soon becoming one of my favourite filling techniques. In this flower for instance, I like how the petals are filled but yet have that lacy look in them.


Materials you will need:
* 5mm quilling strips - I used red and white here
* Quilling tool
* Clear drying PVA glue
* Border buddy


Start with the base. You can make these in any shape - square, round, oval, hexagonal etc. For this hexagonal box, I started with the centre line and just built up on both sides from there. Alternatively, you can also cut out a template from card stock matching your quilling strips and just build it up from there. 

Once the base is ready you can start on the sides. For this particular box I've done a slight overlap pattern. The pegs do not sit directly on top of each other, but overlap each other by half. Every alternate row remains the same. 

The base and the lid of the box align together. 

I used the border buddy to make the petals for the top of the box. And the beehive quilling method to finish of the lovely lacy petals.

* You can find all of the materials I used at any Itsy Bitsy store or even in their online store.

** If you do use this idea to create a quilled jewellery box for yourself, please send me a picture. I'd love to see it.

Comments