Foam Baby Booties - Tutorial



I recently had to create baby bootie toppers for a baby shower cake and since it took me quite a while to figure out how to get this look, I thought I'd create a tutorial to show you how I did it. 


Materials:
* Foam sheets - I got these in A-4 size and I used pink, white and blue
* A good sharp scissors
* A scale / ruler
*Glue gun
* Embellishments - I used narrow lace and paper flowers


Measure and cut out two strips measuring 21x5cm. At the top mark the following 8cm and 13cm. This will give you a space of 5cm in the centre of the strip. Make slits at these markings till about 1.5cm from the end. 


Using the hot glue gun and being very careful, apply glue to one end of the strip, very slightly overlap and stick. You may have to hold it in place for a few seconds. Be very careful not to burn yourself.


Once stuck, fold gently towards the inside the centre flap we cut in step one. You should have at this point the two corners sticking out like in the picture above.


Apply a small blob of hot glue to the inside of the corners and stick them down like so. Again.. please be careful. This hot glue can really burn.


I wanted white soles for the shoes hence the white foam - but your creativity is your own, feel free to experiment with colours. Apply hot glue to the bottom of the blue strip and stick it onto the white foam. Hold it down till firmly stuck. Don't worry about those blobs of glue sticking out the front. 


Using your sharp scissors, cut out the sole as flush to the bootie as possible. All those unsightly blobs sticking out the front will have disappeared by now.

I added the 'Laces' effect to the blue booties by sticking narrow strips of white foam across the centre of the shoe.


To give the thick sole effect to the shoes I cut out a 5mm thickness strip and stuck it all the way around the shoes.


For the pretty pink booties I decided to add a narrow lace trim detail all around the bottom of the shoe. If you don't have any lace on hand you can even use some narrow ribbon here. The possibilities are really endless. I finished of the pink booties by adding a small lighter pink paper flower to the front of the shoes. 



I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. And I would love to hear from you and have a look at your creativity.

Comments