How to use the Sizzix Big Shot die cutting machine


You can see from the wear on my Big Shot, that I've been using it for quite a while. Although it costs and weighs quite a bit, it's very handy when it comes to embossing and die cutting. 

I've gotten a lot of queries on how to use the Big Shot for die cutting... so here goes. 
Mind you, whatever I've learnt is through trial and error method. And I find that's really helped me because there is no better way than actually learning from your mistakes. 


These are the boards and sheets that come with the Big Shot. The longer board plates (1) are used when embossing together with the clear acrylic plates. And I use the no 2 board and the clear plates for die cutting.

*Note: The clear plates will get warped and scratched with continuous use but it'll be years before they actually give way and break apart.


1) Place one of the clear plates on top of your main board. 

2) Place your sheet of paper over that. I've used an A-5 sheet in green as I'll be cutting out some ferns and leaves.


I picked up this set of leafy thin cut dies by Little Birdie from Itsy Bitsy. You can find a whole range of their die cuts here.

The best thing about the Big Shot is that you can use just about any brand of embossing mats and die cuts.


Place close attention to your dies. Notice one side is completely smooth. This is the side that will not cut and should always face away from the paper.


The other side however, has a slightly raised groove all along the die that serves as the cutting outline. This side should always face the paper you intend on cutting.


Place your thin cut dies on top of the paper making sure the smooth side is facing up. Place them in such a way as to not waste paper. This way you can ensure that you will get as many cuts as possible from your piece of paper.


Place the second clear plate on top - making sure not to disturb your die settings.


Insert all of boards into the Big Shot and rotate the handle till the boards come out the other end. 


Lift up your dies gently and you will see where they have cut through the paper.


Now sometimes your paper can get stuck in the die you have used.


No need to panic.


Turn the die over and you will notice tiny holes.


Gently insert a toothpick to help lift up the paper and gently pull it free.


Voila!! Don't they look absolutely pretty?!


Now you can use these beautiful die cuts to complete your work. I have used the ferns and leaves I cut out using my Big Shot to add the finishing touches to these cards.

I hope you have enjoyed this basic tutorial on how to use the Sizzix Big Shot.

xoxo
K.

Comments