Malaysian Quilled flower tutorial



These pretty little flowers have a unique and unusual look to them - at least when we think of quilled flowers. I was always hesitant to try these out but it turns out they are pretty easy. I know this pink flower is not the neatest - but this was actually my first attempt at it. The flower I'm making in the tutorial below is my second flower. 

And believe me... it does get better and better with practice.


Materials you're going to need:

* Quilling slotted tool
* Fine nose tweezer
* Pencil
* Clear drying PVA glue ( I'm using Fevicol )
* Quilling template board
Quilling strips ( I'm using the 5mm ones from Little Birdie in white and blue )


Using a strip of white, I rolled it into a peg and then let it unravel in the second largest circle size of my template board. 

My board has 6 circles in each of the sizes so I did all of them at one go. 


Once it unravels to its maximum, pick up one with the help of your tweezer making sure you're holding it close to the loose end. Add a dot of glue and stick down the open end. 

Squish the loose coil slightly so that it looks like an oval. 

Align the centre of the coil with your pencil.


Wrap the two ends of the coil around the pencil like in the picture above. Press down the ends firmly.


You can let the half moon shapes now rest while we prep the next step of the flowers.


I first cut 3 strips of blue 5mm into half to get 6 pieces. 

Next, each of these 6 half strips were stuck to one end of the half moons.


Wrap the blue around the half moons making sure to join the ends of the moons so that they resemble the petals of a flower. Continue wrapping till the blue strip comes to an end. Add a dot of glue and secure firmly.


This is what you should be left with.

* If you find using the pencil a bit too tedious, you can gold the centre of the loose coil gently with your tweezers and pull the ends of the coil forward to a point just like before.

You will need 6 petals like this to form a flower.


Once your 6 petals are ready, assemble them without glue so that you know where and how to place and stick them. Once you're happy with how your flower looks, you can begin to stick the petals to each other with a small dab of glue.

Make a tight peg to use as the centre of the flower or stick an embellishment for the centre.


And there you have it... The gorgeous Malaysian quilled flower.

Comments