Quilled Flowers - 2


These quilled flowers are really pretty and I made them them as embellishments to use on some handmade birthday cards. They remind me of daffodils and look quite similar except for the centres. I really enjoyed making these and I'm going to show you just how I did that.


Materials you will need:
* Quilling strips - I used 5mm strips. (each flower needs 20 strips for the petals)
* Clear drying PVA glue
* Quilling tool
* Quilling board
* Crimping tool
* Narrow nose tweezer (optional)


We begin by quilling in 3s for the centre of each petal. Quill a peg (do not stick it) and insert it into one of the spaces on the quilling board. The one I use has 6 of each size. And that really works for this kind of flower since I can do the centres of 2 petals at the same time. Wait for the quills to unravel completely and align themselves with the edges.


At this point you might need a tweezer to help get the loose coils out without unravelling them. Stick down the open edge. Using one of the loose coils form a marquise shape. If you're not sure how to do that you can find my quilling basics tutorial here.   

Use the remaining 2 loose coils to form crescent shapes.

Join a crescent to each side of the marquise shape with clear drying glue. You might have to hold these three in place for a while until they stick. This forms the centre of each petal. You have to create a total of 5 petal centres.   


You should now have 5 strips remaining. Put these through the crimping tool to add a little texture to the flowers.

If you're not sure how to do that, I have a tutorial here.

Stick one end of the crimped strip to one of the ends of the petal centre and begin to roll the strip around the centre. Make sure not to pull too much or the crimps will become too shallow to be noticed.


Stick the end down and you should have something that looks like this.


Gently pinch the ends together to form a slightly tapered shape. Complete the remaining 4 petals in the same way.


Assemble them and stick the petals together to form a flower. Add a centre of your choice and your pretty flower is ready to be used - once thoroughly dried of course.

I would love to hear how you got through with this type of flower. Also if there are any questions you need answered, I'm only a message away.

Have fun & get your creativity on!

Karen.

Comments